Saturday, May 17, 2008

The start of summer/something

It is a day to be outside. In fact it is the day to be outside; real live "summer" days in Vancouver are so few and far between. This long weekend is as good a time as any to start up this blog. My goal on the Seawaller is to map out the entire seawall of Vancouver in words and images, events and experiences--a task that seems like it will complete itself, because I live directly between two seawall paths: English Bay and Coal Harbour.

And yet out of habit, it seems I always return to the same place, along the beach at English Bay. I guess that it's the draw of the ocean. But living on the cusp of Stanley Park with a long weekend at hand, the seawall simply demands exploration.


Here's a photo of the park board's map of (the seahorse head-shaped) Stanley Park: the seawall is the line that wraps around the outer edge... ie. the wall of the sea. But this is just the beginning. It extends much further off the map in both directions... by the end of the summer I hope to have covered the whole thing. To be honest, at this point I don't actually know where it ends... only that I've ridden my bike via English Bay through False Creek past Science World, and walked home from Gastown along Coal Harbour on those occasions when my usual laziness didn't propel me onto the bus.

No comments: